Borussia Dortmund REJECT Barcelona bid for Ousmane Dembele

0
Ousmanne Dembele
Borussia Dortmund have rejected Barcelona's bid for Dembele, and have also suspended the youngster for failing to turn up for training today Image: Getty Images

Borussia Dortmund have rejected a bid from Barcelona for Ousmane Dembele before suspending the starlet following his failure to show up for training on Thursday.

The 20-year-old Dembele, who has been lined up as a potential replacement for Neymar, has been fined and is now prevented from train with his team-mates until next week.

After Dortmund manager Peter Bosz confirmed that Dembele did not attend training on Thursday, the club released a statement explaining that the forward had been the subject of a bid from Barcelona – one that was rejected because it did not reflect his ‘extraordinary’ ability.

‘Borussia Dortmund have held talks with FC Barcelona regarding the possible transfer of the BVB player  to FC Barcelona,’ the statement read.

‘During this meeting, the representatives of FC Barcelona submitted a bid which did not correspond to the player’s extraordinary footballing and other abilities, nor to the present economic market situation of the European transfer market. BVB therefore rejected this offer.

‘As there is no other offer from Barcelona to date, there is currently no transfer of the player to FC Barcelona and this not currently likely.’

Dortmund then released a second statement revealing that the player’s decision to miss training without permission had earned him a fine and a suspension until after their cup game at Rielasingen on Saturday.

‘Ousmane Dembele missed Dortmund training today without leave of absence. It was apparently a calculated step and will be sanctioned.

‘In addition, Dembele, who is currently in Dortmund despite reports suggesting otherwise, after consultation with the coach (Peter Bosz) will be suspended from training and matches until after this weekend’s cup game.’

Earlier Bosz revealed the club tried and failed to contact Dembele after he failed to show up for training.

‘Dembele didn’t show up for training today,’ Bosz told reporters. ‘We don’t know where he is. We couldn’t reach him today.

‘There was no sign yesterday that Ousmane would not be here today. We hope nothing terrible has happened’.

Dembele was present for Dortmund’s official team photoshoot on Wednesday but was pictured looking gloomy throughout.

Barcelona have made the 20 year old their top target this summer after selling Neymar to Paris Saint-Germain for a world record £198million fee.

Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc dismissed reports earlier this week that Dembele had agreed terms with Barcelona.

Coach Bosz also said that he ‘wasn’t worried’ about the Frenchman moving to Barcelona when asked about the potential transfer on Monday.

Dembele impressed in his debut campaign in German football last year, scoring six times and earning himself a spot in the Bundesliga team of the season.
Barcelona are also pursuing Philippe Coutinho and saw a £90million bid for the Liverpool midfielder rejected on Thursday.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here