Atletico Madrid complete the signing of Diego Costa

Atletico Madrid complete the signing of Diego Costa

Chelsea have confirmed Diego Costa has completed his return to Spanish giants Atletico Madrid.

The two footballing powerhouses had agreed on a deal for the forward last week, with Atletico said to have forked out around £50m to secure the Brazilian’s services.

The transfer will, however, only come into effect from January 1, 2018, as the La Liga side are currently in the middle of a transfer ban.


Costa said on Atletico’s website: “I’m very happy to return home, I’ve always said it, Atletico is my home, I’m very, very happy.

Costa was told by text message that he was not in boss Antonio Conte’s plans for this season and he spent much of August in his native Brazil.

Conte takes his Chelsea team to Atletico Madrid in the Champions League on Wednesday, and he said of Costa: “As I’ve said before, I have no problems with Diego.

“We wish the best for him in the future and the rest of the season.”

Problems between Costa and Chelsea surfaced earlier in the year when he was left out of the Chelsea side for an away match at Leicester having been involved in a dispute with a fitness coach.

This followed reports of an offer from China that would have been worth £30m a year in salary. At the time, Chelsea said they had no intention of selling him.

Later in that month, Tianjin Quanjian’s owner said a bid to sign Costa had been scuppered by new rules over foreign players in the Chinese Super League

“I’m looking forward to starting to contribute. I’m going to give my all for the team, as I always try to do.

“I’m very grateful to everyone, the whole club for making this move happen.”

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0
Comodo SSL SiteLock