Former Cameroon international Patrick Mboma has branded CAF’s decision to take the hosting right of 2019 African Cup of Nationsfrom Cameroon as a disgrace.
Cameroon saw their hope of the hosting the African biggest football fiesta dashed last week, following CAF executive committee decision to strip them off the hosting right , amidst security and infrastructure reasons.
However, the news wasn’t well received across the country and former African footballer of the year, Mboma‘s position on the issuewasn’t different.
“Me, who was thinking June 15, 2019 was in 197 days. It’s a tough one for us. I feel battered. I am in anger. It’s a shame,” Mboma said.
“How did this escape us? Why? Who do we blame now? I think it’s time to sit down and mull over what really went wrong,” he said.
“Football is life in Cameroon. It’s a big blow to everybody: players, fans and officials. I don’t know what we are learning from this.”
After several inspection to Cameroon, CAF had expressed its concerns on delays in training and accommodation facilities but the local organisation committee said they would be able to beat the deadline.
CAF had since informed interested who want to host the 2019 AFCON to submit their applications within 21 days.
If you use the quotes from this content, you legally agree to give www.brila.net the News credit as the source and a backlink to our story. Copyright 2020 Brila Media.