Only two months after picking up her racket for the first time following a knife attack at her home, Petra Kvitova will be playing at the French Open.
The two-time Wimbledon champion said Friday she will make her comeback at Roland Garros, although she still lacks power and strength.
“I knew this day would come,” said Kvitova, who was attacked by an intruder last year. “I’m really happy that really here, the dream comes true.”
Petra Kvitova has missed all season while recovering from surgery on her racket-holding left hand. She sustained damage to the tendons in her left hand, along with injuries to all five fingers and two nerves, during the attack.
Doctors initially thought she would need more time before returning to tennis.
But Kvitova’s recovery was faster than expected and she said last month that she was signing up for the French Open, which begins Sunday, in hopes of being able to compete.
“It wasn’t easy, but I’m happy that I work through this and I can play tennis and I can be in the draw,” she said.
“I didn’t sleep well the days after, but I wasn’t really staying alone,” she said.
“From the beginning I was really feeling really weird when I went in the city or somewhere. I was always staring to the guys and looking if there are no strangers there. But with the time, it’s better.”
Culled from ctvnews