The 2017 CAF Awards final list has been released. The continent’s football governing body unveiled the full list of the finalists on Monday, comes with a range of surprises.
South African Super Sports United failed to make the final list of nominees for the Club of the Year CAF Awards despite their heroic display at the Caf Confederation Cup.
Matsatsantsa made it to the final of the Cup before they were handed a 1-2 aggregate defeat by TB Mazembe.
That was the first time in the history of the Pretoria-based club to reach the final of the competition and it was widely suggested that the heroics at the tournament will make them get a spot in the final three of the Club category of the awards.
In a similar vein, for the Young Player of the Year category, South Africa and Sporting Braga of Portugal sensation Luther Singh was widely touted as one of the finalists but could not make it to the final three.
The list consists of seven categories, and here is the full list of the Awards as per Caf website:
Africa Player of the Year Award
- Mohamed Salah (Egypt & Liverpool)
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Gabon & Dortmund)
- Sadio Mane (Senegal & Liverpool)
Women’s Player of the Year
- Asisat Oshoala (Nigeria & Dalian Quanjian)
- Christina Kgatlana (South Africa & UWC Ladies)
- Gabrielle Aboudi Onguene(Cameroon & CSKA Moscow)
Youth Player of the Year
- Krepin Diatta (Senegal & Sarpsborg)
- Patson Daka (Zambia & Liefering)
- Salam Giddou (Mali & Guidars)
Coach of the Year
- Gernot Rohr (Nigeria)
- Hector Cuper (Egypt)
- Hussein Amoutta (Wydad Athletic Club)
Club of the Year
- Al Ahly
- TP Mazembe
- Wydad Athletic Club
National Team of the Year
Women’s National Team of the Year
If you use the quotes from this content, you legally agree to give www.brila.net the News credit as the source and a backlink to our story. Copyright 2020 Brila Media.