Manchester United have suffered a blow in their pursuit of Ivan Perisic as Internazionale’s sporting director revealed the player is in talks over a new contract.
Jose Mourinho is keen on bringing the Croatia winger to Old Trafford and United are reported to have had two bids turned down by the Italian club.
However, Piero Ausilio dismissed all talk of a possible deal for the 28-year-old and his teammate Antonio Candreva who has been linked with a move to Chelsea.
“I don’t understand where some of these stories come from,’ Ausilio told Mediaset Premium on Thursday night.
“Candreva has never been on the market and we have absolutely no intention of selling him.
“The same goes for Perisic, who is an important player and we are currently discussing a new contract with him.”
Inter’s cross-city rivals AC Milan have overhauled their squad this summer and the Nerazzurri are understandably keen to keep hold of their star players.
A deal was close to being agreed between United and Inter for a player who fits the classical Mourinho style.
However, with talks seemingly breaking down, the Portuguese manager revealed that his club would not be coerced into paying exorbitant fees like some of their rivals.
“Everybody knows because I said it, very objectively I would like four players and I asked for four players,” he said last month.
“I’m ready to go from four to three because the market is difficult, because some clubs they think the market is different from others.
“We are not a club that is not ready to buy and buy and buy non-stop. We are not a club that is ready to pay what clubs wants us to pay, so I am ready to go from four to three.
“With these three, I just give a better balance to the team, to the squad and better conditions to compete.”
After completing the signings of Romelu Lukaku, Nemanja Matic and Victor Lindelof, United fans will be wondering if their summer spending is already over.