An NBA doctor has ruled that Chris Bosh is dealing with a career-ending illness, meaning the Miami Heat will be able to remove his contract from their salary cap once they officially release him, according to multiple reports.
Bosh hasn’t played since February 2016 because of blood clotting issues.
He still could return to playing in the NBA after his official release from the Heat but must provide the league with the necessary medical evidence that he is healthy enough to do so. Bosh is guaranteed $52 million over the next two seasons, though a significant portion of that is covered by insurance.
Bosh has remained on the Heat roster as the sides have worked through complex medical and legal issues in this delicate and unique situation.
It’s a process that has played out since last fall when Heat team doctors declined to clear Bosh to take part in training camp following blood test results.
Last week, the Heat, Bosh and the National Basketball Players Association tentatively agreed to a resolution that would allow all parties to move on, sources told ESPN.
Part of the reason the process has been so drawn out is the sides are caught between two collective bargaining agreements with differing rules on players with possible life-threatening medical conditions.
The new CBA, which takes effect July 1, has policies for evaluating player health, partially because of Bosh’s situation.
Bosh has said in several interviews he still hopes to find a treatment plan that would allow him to return to the floor in the future.
Under the current rules, if he were to return and play more than 25 games for another team, his cap hit would return to the Heat’s books and they would potentially face luxury tax penalties.
Working that out was part of the motivation from the Heat’s side during the discussions.
Under the new CBA, a panel of doctors selected by the league and the union would determine whether a player with a life-threatening medical condition would be cleared to play.